Sunday, November 22, 2009

What's on the horizon for eco-friendly products?

By Heidi Thorne, The Business Ledger, Nov. 21, 2009

The eco-friendly product world continues to evolve. Since staying on top of what’s happening in this arena is critical for my business, I thought I’d share with you some of the trends that I see emerging:

Plastics that safely degrade/biodegrade

Since petroleum-based plastics can have life spans that run into millennia, I think we will see a preference for degradable and biodegradable products that don’t add to the billions of tons of waste plastic already in existence.

You might ask why we can’t just recycle all that plastic. The answer is that we can, but the levels of participation in recycling are still very low.

Let’s take plastic bags for example. The Worldwatch Institute reports that each year Americans “throw away” about 100 billion plastic bags; only 0.6 percent is recycled.

Click here to read the full article

0 comments:

Post a Comment